EIAO Island, Tahiti
EIAO (pronounced as A-YAO) is 1500km from Tahiti and is an island that is part of the Marqueses Group. It is uninhibited island with Nuku Hiva as its nearest island with an airport access. Due to its remoteness, fishing and wildlife is at pristine condition, many anglers who came back from EIAO will exclaim that it is their best fishing experience and most will go back again.
EIAO Islands comprise of “Small EIAO” and “Big EIAO”. EIAO islands with several seamounts/banks within a 15 mile range that is abundant with GTs (many Black GTs), Yellowfin Tuna, Wahoo, Dogtooth Tuna, Sailfish and other reef species. We believe there are record size GTs having seen 5-6ft monsters chasing down lures and the numerous occasion when lines will just tear away at high drag setting to an inevitable end. Jigging the seamounts left many broken lines by unstoppable creatures of the depth, big Dogtooth Tuna and Yellowfin Tuna patrol these places, all we could do was to tighten the drag till we broke off … There is never a dull moment fishing the EIAO!
About the Trip
We have built a camp in this harsh and mostly barren island that can cater to 6 anglers complete with toilet, shower, kitchen, concrete pavements, sleeping and dining area, landing jetty, sweet water piped from the mountains and even a sewer sump. Food is prepared by a full time chef, although we are in a remote island you can be very sure that you will be well fed by our chef, food in the camp is fantastic!
Fishing is carried out on 2 “open boat”; very efficient local 30ft “Poti Marara” with 300hp inboard engines, enough room for 3 anglers casting at the same time. The captains on each boat is well versed with the waters around EIAO and are experienced in the requirements of GT fishing as well as jigging. The boats are equipped with depth sounder and GPS.
Unlike traditional fishing operators we run only 1 trip per month with 6 anglers each time between the months of March to September in order to keep the fishery in pristine condition and thus anglers experiencing the best fishing each time.
Jigging and popping is the preferred method. Our primary targets are GTs, Dogtooth Tuna and Yellowfin Tuna. Being a tropical destination there will also be pelagics like wahoo, sailfish, marlin, reef species like groupers, snapper and other trevallies. You will be fishing 3 anglers per boat for 8 hours a day.
We start the day with breakfast at 6am and the boats will be at the jetty at 7.00am to load up and to start the days’ fishing. Lunch can either be packed lunch boxes or had back in the camp depending on the program of the day. Fishing ends at 5pm
(Many will want to fish the dawn hours but we can assure you that you will not lose out on getting the best bites, there is never a dull moment in Eiao!)
Primary species we target – Giant Trevally, Dogtooth Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna.
By catch – Wahoo, Groupers, Snappers, Sharks, Marlin, Sailfish, Dorado
We would like to keep the fishery in EIAO in its pristine condition. We adopt a no-kill policy for all GTs and Billfish, we will try to revive Dogtooth Tuna whenever possible. BARBLESS HOOKS is mandatory for the safety of the angler and crew.
Getting to EIAO
You will fly from Papeete (Tahiti) to Nuku Hiva (3 hours domestic flight), from Nuku Hiva we will sail 120kms to EIAO on the Poti Marara which will take between 4-5 hours depending on sea conditions.
Day 1 – Arrive Nuku Hiva. Transfer to hotel.
Day 2 – Depart for Eiao
Day 3 – Fishing
Day 4 – Fishing
Day 5 – Fishing
Day 6 – Fishing
Day 7 – Fishing
Day 8 – Depart Eiao for Nuku Hiva. Transfer to hotel.
Day 9 – Depart Nuku Hiva
Price and Booking
2017 Season – Please contact us at email@example.com
What is Included
- Transfer from Nuku Hiva to Eiao
- 7 Days 6 nights full board on at our camp
- 5 days fishing. 3 anglers per boat.
- Drinking water and juice
- Breakfast, Lunch and 3-Course dinner at our camp
- English speaking guide
What is Not Included
- Airfares from Papeete to Nuku Hiva
- Sodas and Beers (please order with us at least 2 weeks before departure)
- Fishing Gear
- Transfer from Nuku Hiva airport to Nuku Hiva hotel
- Accomodation at Nuku Hiva
- Travel insurance
Recommended Fishing Gear
2 x GT Outfits – Minimum PE8
2 x Jigging Outfit – Minimum PE6
1 x Light Casting Outfit (Optional) – PE3-5
Jigging – 80% (200g to 250g) & 20% (400-500g jigs for deep jigging (180m). You will be jigging 30-60m most of the time. We recommend you bring at least 20 jigs. Leader 100/130/170/200lb
GT Casting – Personal Preference. GTs are abundant in EIAO so I must say they are not too fussy, some days poppers work better other days stickbait or skipping pencils works best. Leader 170/200lb
What to Bring
- Light and quick drying clothes like Dri-Fits are recommended.
- A good pair of shoes.
- Sun block and shades
- Light sleeping bag, it can get chilly at night – light rain coat
- Toiletries; tooth brush, soap, shampoo, shaver etc
- A big Smile and the right attitude, Marquesians are sincere people who will go out of the way to make your experience a wonderful one.
- Flights from Papeete to Nuku Hiva can be purchased online at www.airtahiti.com The cost is about US$700 for return flight X Class (23kg baggage allowance) or Z Class (46kg baggage allowance).
- If you have a long layover between domestic and international flight, we recommend that you stay at Intercontinental hotel which is 5mins from the hotel. Cost of the hotel is about US$150 per night and we can book the hotel for you to enjoy late check out up to 8pm. Taxi service from airport to hotel is about $25 each way.
- Excess luggage is expensive, luggage allowance on domestic flights is strictly 23kg per person. If you are going with friends we strongly suggest sharing rod tubes. If you have excessive luggage we strongly suggest you get a Z Class ticket (46kg allowance).
Please check with us on which domestic flight to book.