The Gambier Islands (French: Îles Gambier or Archipel des Gambier) is part of French Polynesia and is about 1600km southeast of Tahiti. Gambier island has very little tourism and almost shutoff from the rest of the world; with only one flight a week and one cargo ship a month visiting its port to cater to the 1000+ residence of this 30 sq km group of islands surrounded by fringing reefs.
Getting to Gambier from Tahiti is a 4 hour flight that departs PPT (Papeete) at around 7am and arriving at GMR (Gambier) around noon. The departing flight from GMR is 1.30pm and arriving PPT at 4.30pm (there is a 1hr time difference)
Being in the Tropic of Capricon, Gambier enjoys cool year round temperatures between 25 to 28C° in the summer (Sep to Mar) and below 20C° during the winter months of Apr to Aug.
Gambier Discovery trips runs from September to march.
ABOUT THE TRIP
This is a 8 day 7 nights trip starting on a Tuesday and ending on the following Tuesday with 6 days fishing in between.
Upon arrival at Mangareva Airport (GMR) at about noon you will be greeted by our host followed by a short 40mins ferry ride to the main village of Rikitea where you will be greeted with flower garland and refreshing cocktail. From there is a car ride to the lodge which takes about a minute.
After unloading luggage and room assignments you have the choice to simply relax and soak in the rustic beauty of Gambier, tour around the village or have lunch at one of the 2 “Snack House” (they make good steak!) Rest of the day could be spent gearing up for the next day before dinner is served at 7pm.
Jigging and popping is the preferred method. Our primary targets are GTs, Dogtooth Tuna and Yellow fin Tuna. Being a tropical destination there will also be pelagics like wahoo, sailfish, marlin, reef species like groupers, snapper and other trevallies. You will be fishing 3 anglers per boat for 8 hours a day, fishing spot (farthest) is no more than 30 minutes from the lodge.
There are several spots where shore casting for GTs can be done at low tide.
Typically, breakfast is at 6.30am and the fishing boats will be ready to move out at 7am. Sandwiches, fruits and drinks will be provided for lunch on the boat. Fishing ends at 4pm.
ABOUT THE LODGE
Clean beds and warm showers will be provided. There are 3 rooms that will accommodate 3 person each. Towels are provided and changed every day with fresh linens every whenever required.
Breakfast – Coffee, tea, milk, juice, hot chocolate, bread, toast, cereals, ham/bacon and eggs.
Lunch – Sandwich, fruits and drinks will be provided on boat during fishing.
Dinner – Appetizer will be fish/salad followed by a meat course with pasta or fries/potatoes.
Laundry is provided free of charge
Bicycles and Canoe from the lodge if free to use.
Sodas ($3) and beers ($5) are available at the lodge.
We would like to keep the fishery in Gambier in its pristine condition. We will adopt a no-kill policy for all GTs and Billfish, we will try to revive Dogtooth Tuna whenever possible. All GT lures must be rigged with BARBLESS HOOKS.
Day 1 – Papeete to Gambier
Day 2 – Fishing
Day 3 – Fishing
Day 4 – Fishing
Day 5 – Fishing
Day 6 – Fishing
Day 7 – Fishing
Day 8 – Depart Gambier for Papeete
PRICE AND BOOKING
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- All transfers upon arrival at Gambier
- 7 Nights Full Board
- 6 days fishing – 3 anglers per boat.
- 1 x Guide / Coordinator
- Free use of 1 x 4×4 Pick Up to explore island
- Laundry Service
- Drinks (water or lemonade) during fishing
- Lunch (Sandwich) during fishing
- Last day BBQ dinner
- One day excursion to Temoe Atoll (weather dependent)
- One lunch picnic at small private island
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Airfares from Papeete to Gambier
- Sodas and Beers. These are available for sale and payable by XPF or US$.
- Fishing Gear
WHAT TO BRING
- Light and quick drying clothes like Dri-Fits are recommended.
- A good pair of shoes for shore casting.
- Sun block and shades
- light rain coat or windbreaker
- Light sweater as some evenings can be chilly
- Toiletries; tooth brush, soap, shampoo, shaver etc
- A big Smile and the right attitude, they are sincere people who will go out of the way to make your experience a wonderful one.
- Flights from Papeete (PPT) to Gambier (GMR) can be purchased online at www.airtahiti.com The cost is about US$700 for a return ticket.
- If you have a long layover between domestic and international flight, we recommend that you stay at Intercontinental hotel which is 5mins from the hotel. Cost of the hotel is about US$150 per night and we can book the hotel for you to enjoy late check out up to 8pm. Taxi service from airport to hotel is about $25 each way.
- Excess luggage is expensive, luggage allowance on domestic flights is 20kg per person. If you are going with friends we strongly suggest sharing rod tubes. If you must have excess luggage please let us know as we need to make special arrangements to make sure your luggage will be loaded.